Sparrow Health System
General Purpose of Job:
The Director of Marketing & Communications drives day-to-day execution and improvement of Sparrow Health System’s marketing plan including overseeing market research and analysis of the competition; collaborates with management and research teams on product development; oversees and directs customer service support functions monitoring processes to ensure customer/patient/family and physician engagement and satisfaction is in place for market growth.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Designs, implements, and facilitates annual marketing plans and programs to ensure growth and expansion of SHS and specific Medical Center service lines, customer segments and cross-functional programs.
- Supports and facilitates development and implementation of service line business and marketing plans.
- Translates business unit/service line objectives and strategies to develop brand portfolio objectives, and plans to facilitate business unit growth. Ensures the integration of business unit marketing and function within that of the greater group, and ensures the business unit optimizes.
- Develops effective, evidence-based marketing strategies, based on knowledge of healthcare industry, customer segments, physician strategy, and cost and revenue objectives. Is driven by the data and understands the need for frequent review and revisions.
- Negotiates with media agents and other agencies to secure agreements for translation of materials into other media. Edits materials according to specific market or customer requirements. Manages the development process where appropriate for promotional materials including online web-marketing, traditional media marketing, signage and other printed collateral and print copies.
- Integrates with physician services and service line administrators to design and implement integrated physician development and prospecting programs that are tied to the service lines.
- Researches, analyzes, and monitors demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize the effect of competitive activity.
- Evaluates market reactions to advertising programs and ensures adjustments of marketing strategies and plans are made to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Provides marketing direction appropriate for service lines that demonstrates a thorough understanding of healthcare marketing including content marketing, community building through internet strategies, integrated marketing providing singularity of messaging through multiple media, marketing segmentation techniques, customer value drivers, establishment and promotion of value propositions, and the attainment of accurate/timely data on market trends/competitive strategies.
- Manage all functions in compliance with HMC’s business practices and objectives, including Employment Policies, Safety, Health, Protection of Confidential and Proprietary Information, Code of Business Conduct, Ethics and Patient Privacy Laws (HIPPA). Works collaboratively with team members and other areas to facilitate communications, problem solve, and plan marketing and communication activities. Ensures consistent message and timely coordination of announcements.
- Schedules, delegates work to, evaluates, and manages performance of assigned departmental personnel. Identifies, plans, and conducts orientation, training, and in-service/continuing education of personnel. Completes performance reviews in timely manner. Answers grievances. Improves employee performance through on-going counseling, coaching, delegation, and feedback.
- Maintains records and creates reports related to projects and departmental operation, including work logs, order forms, specifications, and bids.
- Performs other duties as required. Utilizes new improvements and/or technologies that relates to job assignment.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in marketing and/or Communications with a minimum of three (3) years at a Director level or five (5) years at a Manager level.
- Experience creating and managing all aspects of media advertising for mid-size healthcare organization, including but not limited to TV commercials, PSA’s, direct mail and advertisements.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing creative programs to drive growth.
- Demonstrated success with wide range of integrated marketing strategies.
- Experience with integrated online Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing and Social Media Optimization; media and internet advertising.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business or related field such as Journalism, Communications, etc.).
- Master degree preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to focus on SMART (specific, measurable, actionable, relevant and timely) goals and SMART goals for innovative ventures.
- Ability to lead virtual teams and interface effectively with both internal and external program and product specialists.
- Ability to convert strategy into effective marketing programs with measurable results.
- Ability to oversee all marketing, advertising and promotional activities for SHS programs and services.
- Excellent copy strategy abilities with strong understanding of relationship between copy strategy and marketing story.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage projects from inception through execution.
- Team oriented, highly organized with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership, team building, organization, project management and planning skills.
- Ability to work independently (self-starter) and within a matrix corporate organization.
- Strong understanding of customer and market dynamics and requirements.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional self-directed team of professionals.
- Well-developed understanding of data collection methodologies, cost-drivers and marketing metrics.
- Ability to build trust, value others, communicate effectively, drive execution, foster innovation, focus on the customer, collaborate with others, solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity.
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships.
- Ability to proactively establish and maintain effective working team relationships with all stakeholders and audiences.
- Demonstrated experience and ongoing relationships with all members of the media, organizing press conferences, interviews, press and media statements and releases preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and launching public relations and communication campaigns, initiatives, and projects both internally and externally at a mid-size healthcare organization preferred.
- Experience at a mid-size healthcare organization preferred.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: